In April, Liam had a random bout of diarrhea and then some bloody diapers. We did some testing for viruses and then it seemed to resolve itself so we just kind of left it at a mystery. However, the doctor mentioned that formula could very well have been the cause so we switched brands. And like I said, it seemed to solve itself so we just forgot about it.
Well, at the end of October, he has another blood filled diaper. Which is, of course, the scariest thing to ever find during a diaper change. So I took him and the diaper to the doctor the next morning. The doctor tested it and confirmed it was blood (waste of time- you could clearly see it). Then said we should just "watch him" and see if it "continues". So I asked a million concerned mommy questions and got zero answers. So I left the office super irritated that no one seemed to care about what was happening with my baby. I decided to call a gi specialist myself. We had his appointment last week.
First, I loved the doctor we saw. The office was clean and the staff was very friendly. After chatting with us for a few minutes, the gi doctor said Liam is a classic case of a milk protein intolerance. He has all the symptoms (not sleeping well, slow weight gain, not maintaining his growth curve, picky eating, fussiness). So we are on a 2 week dairy free diet to see what happens.
We are on week one and it is FANTASTIC. Liam is so much happier and has been sleeping way better at night. He has been eating a ton! Which makes me even more mad at the pediatrician. Why didn't someone suggest this long ago?!?!?! My poor baby has had a belly ache that could have totally been prevented.
Now I am obsessed with the symptoms of a food allergies. Do you realize how many medical conditions (including ADD/ADHD) could actually be food allergies? This whole thing is just bringing my dormant hippie side closer to the surface...
No comments:
Post a Comment